The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI was distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search.
PHI is seeking a full time Program Manager to support the California Alliance for Funding Prevention, a project of the PHI. This position is located in Oakland, CA.
The Program Manager will act as project manager and is responsible for 1) providing backbone support to a coalition of organizations which advocate for increased funding for prevention and health promotion in the State of California 2) supporting the creation of high quality tools and information to support the coalition’s mission and 3) organizing regional convenings and educational briefings of legislators and other policymakers. Under the supervision of the project director, he/she will be responsible for managing meetings and minutes, website and any social media maintenance, developing communication tools such as policy briefs and presentations using input from expert consultants, project management activities including coordination of 2-3 subcontractors, and organization of events, reporting to funders, writing new grants as needed. He/she will also participate in drafting scientific publications, summary materials, policy briefs and presentations. We are seeking someone passionate about public health, with strong communication, writing and organizational skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and administer an (at least) two year project seeking to build support and consensus for increased funding of prevention in the State of California.
- Assist in management of grant team and activities
- Oversee relations with subcontractors with PI
- Develop policy briefs, publications, reports, presentations, agendas and develop and manage website
- Support strategic research as needed
- Organize coalition meetings, convenings and briefings. Assist in the development of grants and proposals for external funding of program activities and other tasks as deemed necessary by management
- Bachelor’s in Public Health with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience. Master’s in related field preferred. (Graduate studies in related areas such as journalism with appropriate skills will be considered)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills essential. Well-developed skills in organization/project management and personnel supervision. Experience in communications and/or journalism is highly desirable
- Experience in public health and/or community health promotion desirable. Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external partners.
- Budget management experience preferred
This is an exempt position and the salary is commensurate with experience. PHI offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short/long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b (group retirement annuity) and partial subsidy of public transportation cost. For more information about PHI’s benefits, visit our benefits page at https://www.phi.org.
How to apply:
To apply for this position visit our Career Site at https://www.phi.jobs.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE