Job Number: 00119496
Job Posting: Mar 8, 2017, 1:05:58 PM
Closing Date: Mar 23, 2017, 12:59:00 AM Full-time A.M. P.M.
AFSCME 1276 Posting Salary: $22.877 - HOURLY
Organization: Health and Hospital Systems
Location: Cook County Department of Public Health TB Clinic
Forest Park, IL 60130
Department: Communicable Disease Control & Prevention
Under the supervision of the Epidemiologist IV, functions as a specialist in communicable disease investigation. Interviews persons with reported communicable diseases, evaluates the information collected and implements disease control measures in accordance with the Illinois Department of Public Health's Rules and Regulations for the Control of Communicable Diseases. Conducts investigations for suspected food-borne illnesses with appropriate referrals to environmental health for team investigation of food establishments. Enters case information into electronic databases; investigates and closes cases in internal and external electronic databases, including, but not limited to, the Illinois-National Electronic Disease Surveillance System (I-NEDSS) database.
- Investigates suspected, probable or confirmed cases of communicable diseases as assigned.
- Takes detailed information on food-borne complaints.
- Counsel's clients about general communicable diseases in suburban Cook County, including, but not limited to, descriptive epidemiology, typical signs and symptoms of communicable diseases, incubation period, period of communicability, prevention, and exclusion criteria where necessary.
- Conducts field investigations at restaurants and/or other facilities, interviews food handlers and other employees to identify, restrict, counsel and refer to treatment persons with potential food-borne illnesses in coordination with environmental health.
- Monitors, investigates and enters information into internal and external databases (l-NEDSS); electronically completes cases as appropriate.
- Routinely runs and reviews reports in l-NEDSS and/or other surveillance systems as necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher, in Public Health or in the natural sciences from an accredited college or university is required. (Must provide official transcripts at time of interview.)
- One (1) year professional experience in the area of communicable disease control and field investigation or equivalent is required.
- Must be able to travel throughout Cook County is required.
- Must be trained and certified in NIMS FEMA IS -100.b and 700.a Management within six months of employment (required).
MUST MEET ALL REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION FILING.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of microbiology, infectious disease epidemiology and basic statistics.
- Knowledge of computer software packages including word processing, database and spreadsheet software.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to elicit information from and provide information to clients with a variety of educational, social and ethnic backgrounds.
- Ability to travel throughout Cook County.
When applying for employment with the Cook County Health & Hospitals System, preference is given to honorably discharged Veterans who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States for not less than 6 months of continuous service
To take advantage of this preference a Veteran must:
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
- Identify self as a Veteran on the employment application by answering yes to the question by answering yes to the question, Are you a Military Veteran?
- Attach a copy of their DD 214, DD 215 or NGB 22 (Notice of Separation at time of application filing. Please note: If you have multiple DD214s, 215s, or NGB 22S, Please submit the one with the latest date. Coast Guard must submit a certified copy of the military separation from either the Department of Transportation (Before 9/11) or the Department of Homeland Security (After 9/11). Discharge papers must list and Honorable Discharge Status. Discharge papers not listing an Honorable Discharge Status are not acceptable
- A copy of a valid State ID Card or Driver's License which identifies the holder of the ID as a Veteran, may also be attached to the application at time of filing.
If items are not attached, you will not be eligible for Veteran Preference
VETERANS MUST PROVIDE ORIGINAL APPLICABLE DISCHARGE PAPERS OR APPLICABLE STATE ID CARD OR DRIVER'S LICENSE AT TIME OF INTERVIEW.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- Pension Plan and Deferred Compensation Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time
- You may also qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
For further information on our excellent benefits package, please click on the following link: http://www.cookcountyrisk.com/
Degrees awarded outside of the United States with the exception of those awarded in one of the United States' territories and Canada must be credentialed by an approved U.S. credential evaluation service belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Original credentialing documents must be presented at time of interview.
Please note all offers of Employment are contingent upon the following conditions: satisfactory professional & employment references, healthcare and criminal background checks, appropriate licensure/certifications and the successful completion of a physical and pre-employment drug screen.
CCHHS is strictly prohibited from conditioning, basing or knowingly prejudicing or affecting any term or aspect of County employment or hiring upon or because of any political reason or factor.
COOK COUNTY HEALTH AND HOSPITAL SYSTEM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER